2015 - Present
Senior Innovation Product Manager
Solera Holdings, Inc. | Office of the CEO - R3PI1 | Westlake, Texas
Driving innovation concept development within the office of the CEO. Rapidly prototyping and iterating design and technology concepts for the future of Solera’s businesses, with a focus on mobile application (iOS) design and development. Working with a small team of full-stack engineers and designers to ideate concepts, prioritize features, and develop minimum viable product. Contributing in multiple facets from traditional product management, to design, proof-of-concept app development, QA, and more as necessary.
- IoT technology research and strategy focused on connected car and home.
- Established a planning funnel, prioritization, and roadmap process to drive rigor into a fast-moving innovation process.
- Identified and validated data and technology assets from within Solera’s extensive portfolio of companies as well as external partners.
- Developed near-term roadmap for Solera’s Digital Garage product and requirements for additional capabilities that will be introduced in the coming months.
Manager, Product Management and Planning
2013 - 2015
Hewlett Packard | Business Personal Systems Software Marketing | Houston, Texas
Player/manager that lead product management and managed the team responsible for planning and strategy of HP Touchpoint Manager. The team delivered the near- and long-term roadmap and requirements for the product, guided by customer empathy, competitive insights, market opportunities, as well as alignment with internal pan-HP opportunities and initiatives. Additionally, the team performed business development activities for selected technology partners.
- Promoted from individual contributor to manager after six months in role
- Established planning funnel and prioritization process to drive user-focused product planning with necessary business and technical due diligence.
- Created long-term roadmap and lead roadmap planning and coordination across multiple functions (engineering, marketing, support, operations) and business units.
- Crafted mobility strategy and executed to release to market.
- Developed and delivered executive, internal, and external product presentations.
Senior Emerging Technology Specialist
2010 - 2012
Telstra | Chief Technology & Innovation Office | Melbourne, Australia
Provided technology research, analysis, and strategy in the areas of IoT, augmented reality, mobile operating systems, and home networking technologies and standards. Provided input and guidance for Telstra products centered on connected home, connected car, and connected life. Generated new business ideas spanning ideation, technology selection, business case development, market trial and commercialization.
- Developed company strategy for Connected Car opportunities and participated on GSMA connected car working group representing Telstra.
- Created multiple innovation product concepts that were approved by Board of Directors technology subcommittee spanning home automation, cloud computing, voice over WiFi, M2M, etc. and contributing to annual goals for $200M three-year revenue goals.
- Evaluated 3rd party vendor offerings for business and residential gateways, set top boxes, home media tablets, and various home networking technologies and services.
- Prepared presentations and other content for the offices of the CTO and CEO for Investor Day, board meetings, event keynotes, etc.
Software Product Marketing Manager
2008 - 2010
Hewlett Packard | PSG Business Notebooks | Houston, Texas
Promoted high-growth and value-adding opportunities while crafting short-term plans and strategy for both software and business processes. Developed financial, risk, and other business models, analyzed primary and secondary market and financial data, and presented strategic recommendations to senior management. Directed software strategy for mobile thin client products and architected add-on strategy for common desktop/mobile thin client.
- Worked with services teams to drive new product features/requirements and solution categories (virtualization, bring-your-own-PC, PC power management, etc.).
- Oversaw 3rd party vendors and pan-HP business units in achieving $15M - $25M annual software revenue.
- Crafted marketing requirements documents, white papers, and datasheets.
- Ensured cross-functional alignment of strategic marketing requirements.
- Recommended strategic approaches to diverse matters including alternate form factors such as mobile thin clients and internet devices, cloud computing paradigms, VoIP communications, and enterprise power management.
Technical Program Manager
2006 - 2008
Hewlett Packard | PSG Business Desktops | Houston, Texas
Drove vendor selection and management practices, considered technical and financial implications, and evaluated SWOT, financial statements, risk, decision analysis, and financial modeling. Coordinated cross-functional and business unit collaboration and communications in order to define plans of record for security strategy implementations with diverse delivery mechanisms over multiple programs.
- Generated $1.5M divisional revenue with highly successful and on-time delivery of security software and hardware solutions.
- Reduced costs approximately $3M- $5M in 2007 through vendor risk mitigation.
Systems Software Engineer
2000 - 2006
Hewlett Packard | PSG Business Desktops | Houston, Texas
Reengineered factory processes and developed software to support PC manufacturing efforts with significant cost savings. Spearheaded cross-functional and cross-business unit initiatives to improve manufacturability processes and software development for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista operating systems. Oversaw architecture, mentoring, and delegation, trained internal personnel and partners, and prepared white papers, patent submissions, technical specifications, and client presentations.
- Provided annual training and ongoing support to solution architect teams on HP and Microsoft technologies, operating system implementation and licensing, and solution strategies.
- Developed new technologies and products ranging from thin clients, retail point-of-sale, and Consolidated Client Infrastructure (CCI) first as contributing developer, then team technical lead, and finally as lead software developer.
- Drove multi-million $ cost savings with process reengineering efforts.
2014 - 2015
Certificate | Executive Education - Building Innovative Leaders | Palo Alto, California
Building Innovative Leaders curriculum established by HP, Stanford Graduate School of Business, and Stanford d.school.
2005 - 2007
MBA | General Management | Austin, Texas
Primary studies included Strategic Management, Strategic Marketing and Marketing Management, Operations Management, Financial Statement Analysis, Information Technology, and Economics. Significant research projects included a study of Gazprom and the Russian oil and gas industry, London Clubs International and the gaming industry.
1995 - 1999
Bachelor of Science | Computer Engineering | College Station, Texas
Primary studies included Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Digital Logic Design, Operating Systems Design, Human/Computer Interaction, Software Development Lifecycle (Waterfall and Rapid Prototyping), Discrete Mathematics, and Calculus. Significant research projects included a Linux-based web radio running on a Motorola Crossfire reference board and an analysis of Amazon.com and the emergence of early e-commerce.
Patents and Applications
US Patent 7,739,732 | “Graphical User Interface That Permits the Selection of a Security Setting to Control Access to a Removable Storage Device”
US Patent 8,825,832 | “Method and System for Managing Connections”
US Patent Application 20050251641 | “Componentized Embedded System Information Retrieval”
Skill and Competency Summary
Strong capacity for building and using a network of professionals across functional and business units. Significant experience managing vendors/partners, often interfacing directly with CxO level management. Present regularly to senior levels of management including general managers and senior level executives. Also experienced with training and mentoring/coaching.
Experienced with primary and secondary market research with an emphasis on strategic product or product feature recommendations. Financial modeling and forecasting used in evaluating business development opportunities or new market initiatives. Experienced in various strategy formulation techniques and innovation process methodologies.